SIGEI K. HILLARY
Ten(10) years in legal and professional business environment with Seven(7)years managing & leading teams in;
- Managing medium sized busy law firms
- Commercial and litigation Strategy formulation and implementation oversight including leading cross-functional teams
- Strategic and innovative thinking through;
- Good understanding of the law and in particular practice of law
- Personalized attention to details in undertaking any assignment with refined
interest in the success of such task,
- Good planning and organizational skills gained overtime with the previous
engagements and a keen eye to tangible deliverables,
- Good and strategic institutional management and governance skills gained
overtime through engagements and involvement with public and private
institutions both local and international,
- Excellent Interpersonal and diverse team Leadership skills.
SMS ADVOCATES LLP: SEPT.2013 TO-DATE
- As the Managing Partner, I am tasked to build he firm’s client portfolio and execute administration and strategic plan and management of the entity,
- Formulation of strategic management, best practices / guidelines, and professionalism in close collaboration with the team Senior Partners, Lawyers and staff at SMS Advocates.
- Driving Efficiency Utilization Initiatives to allow professionalism and successful delivery of services in record time and standard to clients who are both large corporates or individuals.
- Relationship Management: Forge and maintain working relationships and synergies across the organization and with its customers, and establish greater understanding of the legal environment;
- Developing, participating and enforcing various good governance initiatives;
- Build internal and external Partnerships and linkages to spur growth and enhance legal and related service delivery.
Click to View other Experiences
SIGEI & ASSOCIATES ADVOCATES, 2012-2013
Click to view Roles: Founder
- As the founder, I was involved in establishing the law firm to grow and stabilize in practice of law,
- Growing the client base by specializing in particular areas of practice,
- Directly engaging with clients in capacity building and rationalization of legal practice.
KATWA & KEMBOY ADVOCATES, 2009-2011
Click to view Roles:
- As an Associate advocate, I was involved in the day to day litigation and managing
clients in matters in the Court of Appeal, High Court and Lower Courts as well as Tribunals,
- Training legal intern sessions for matters which underwent arbitration.
- Preparing client reports for action by my superiors.
BARCLAYS BANK OF KENYA, 2007-2008
Click to view Roles:
- Receiving customers complaints and documenting them,
- Resolving simple customer complaints and general banking deficiencies to
enhance customer satisfaction,
- Preparing daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports from the sub department
for approval and forwarding for action,
- Drafting and forwarding legal opinions and general customer queries on.
MBUGUA & MBUGUA ADVOCATES; 2005-2007
Click to view Roles:
- As an intern was involved in general legal, clerical work,
- Acted as the personal assistant to the Senior Partner and Arbitrator Mr. Mbugua,
- Interviewed and recorded statements from client, prepare legal contracts, documents and pleadings.
Other Professional Engagements & Latest Achievements
- Member of the Standards Tribunal-a Judicial Tribunal established under the Standards Act, to adjudicate over appeals filed by entities and individuals dissatisfied with the decisions of the Kenya Bureau of Standards(KEBS).
- Sit as a Member of the Dispute Resolution Committee and Tribunal established on ad-hoc basis by the Political Parties.
- BoardMember-GoodNeighbors-AninternationalHumanitarianDevelopment NGO involved in professional social welfare and international development cooperation projects around the world. It is involved in Education and protection, Health, Water and Sanitation, Income Generation, Advocacy, Community Partnership and Network Building.
- Co-opted Member of the Board of Management of Tenwek High School- A national School in Bomet County representing the Alumni Association.
Latest assignments and key achievements include:-
- Involved in several mega commercial contracts and agreements for Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) for restructuring of commercial debt portfolio sponsored by the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (Commonly known as World Bank) among other commercial transactions.
- Represents the Kenya National Union of Teachers(KNUT) in the Dispute with the Teachers Service Commission agitating for improved terms and conditions of service with a team of other Senior Lawyers.
- Engaged by The East African Portland Cement Co. Limited(EAPCC) in several major commercial and land claims in various Courts in Kenya and particularly negotiations on ongoing cases on compulsory acquisition of land by the Government and eviction of squatters who have trespassed on the institution’s land that covers Nairobi, Kajiado and Machakos Counties,
- Undertook are view and advice on Code of Governance for State Corporations; Mwongozo issued jointly by the Public Service Commission and the State Corporation’s Advisory Committee for Kenya Power & Lighting Company.
- Involved in the Supreme Court Presidential Petition1 and 2 of 2017 representing one of the parties in the Supreme Court together with a team of lawyers,
- Represented Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission(IEBC) before the Public Procurement and Oversight Authority in procurement matters as well as in various election petitions in the High Court and the Court of appeal.
Education Background and Trainings
2012-2014; Master of Laws, LLM:
The University of Nairobi, Course Work specialty area: International Trade and Investment Law.
Liberalization of Trade in Legal Services within the East African Community; Implementation of the Common Market Protocol.
2001-2005;The University of Nairobi; LLB:
Arbitration- An Analysis of Exclusionary Clauses in Arbitral Agreements.
1999: Tenwek High School:
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE),A-.
1995: Ndamichonik Primary School(Bomet):
Kenya Certificate of Primary Education(KCPE)